Building a Business is a process not an eventMJ DeMarco
A lot of people ask me questions about how to build an online business. I get it, the internet is a scary place with so many different options and it can be hard to know where to start.
This article will help you get started by giving you some of my best tips for building an online business in 2023. You’ll learn what I did when I first started out on my own, how much money you should expect to spend, and more. Let’s dive right in!
With that said, this is a step-by-step process.
- Brainstorm ideas for a business (Where do you get ideas from?)
- Check if the Idea is Worth Pursuing (See my first filter checklist here)
- Begin In-depth research (Keywords, Competitors, Monetisation More)
- Identify your Brand Characteristics: the Vertical, the Angle, and the reason for being. The need it fills and the problem it solves. The why? How will your site stand out? (Learn the basics of Branding your Idea)
- Set up the goals for the new enterprise.
- Define the Brand – Choose a Domain name, Logo, the Voice, to help build a brand around.
- Build and launch the website. No Fanfare is required. A slow launch is very common. The site needs to go live almost immediately. I generally set up a one-page website that appeals to your target customer. (The Reason why Later)
- Secure the social Network accounts that will be used to push the brand (List of More Important Social Networks)
- Do an in-depth study of your competition and collect a tonne of data. (Learn How to Study the Competition)
- Develop a long-term content and social media strategy
- Organise the Writing, Producing and Publishing of the seed content and set up a content calendar to organise the content production and delivery.
- Work out a Monetisation strategy: short and long-term (What is a Monetisation Strategy?)
- Build out the website and the social networks with the content you have created.
- Getting noticed: With Email Outreach, Social Media, PR, and Linkable Content
- Maximising revenue through building an email list
- Paid traffic strategies for views and list building
- Long Term strategies to continue growing
Enjoy the journey, the road is long.
Live your life each day as you would climb a mountain. An occasional glance toward the summit keeps the goal in mind, but many beautiful scenes are to be observed from each new vantage point. Climb slowly, steadily, enjoying each passing moment; and the view from the summit will serve as a fitting climax for the journey.Harold V. Melchert
This list will be the basis of the site. And, over time I will endeavour to go into more detail with each point on the list.
The first few are already completed and that should be enough to get you started.
I’m still working on this content. Please keep checking back regularly, as I am nowhere near finished. However, if you want to know more, please send me a message or leave a comment.